Frank J. Ellias has over 30 years of experience in Real Estate, Business Law, Health Care, Taxation and Estate Planning. He believes that attorneys must adapt the method by which they provide services to better reflect today’s challenging economic realities. He continues to attract former large firm clients interested in more personal, focused and cost-effective legal services of the highest caliber.
His Real Estate practice includes major commercial, shopping center, condominium and multi-family residential developer clients. Frank represents builders, developers and owners in land assembly, acquisition, construction, private and public financing, leasing, land use, zoning, syndication, joint ventures, subcontracts, condominium documents, master plan communities, planned unit developments, municipal development agreements and other related matters.
His Business practice includes major local manufacturers, wholesalers, retail businesses, internet and catalog businesses, technology, professional employee leasing and placement businesses, mortgage companies, accounting, grocery, and convenience stores.
His Financing and Venture Capital practice includes representation of businesses formed through private venture capital including document preparation and entity formation. Frank is extensively involved in bank financing and negotiations, and tax incentive programs. He is currently representing numerous business and real estate clients in Michigan and throughout the United States in obtaining new financing, loan restructuring, forbearance agreements and work outs.
His Health Care practice includes medical, dental, podiatry, chiropractic and veterinary single and multiple owner practices throughout Michigan. Frank represents health care clients in practice acquisition and sales, entity formation, employment agreements, tax and successor planning.
His Taxation practice includes representation before the Internal Revenue Service and State of Michigan Department of Treasury as well as local municipalities for personal and real property tax matters including audit representation, offers in compromise and installment payment arrangements. Frank is involved in tax planning on an ongoing basis for his real estate, manufacturing, medical, business and other clients.
His Estate Planning practice includes the use of a variety of different trusts, private foundations and elder care\special needs\governmental benefits planning. Frank also has extensive experience in pension, profit sharing, and retirement planning.
Frank’s past projects include:
- Multi-million dollar sales of automotive suppliers and other related businesses.
- Purchases and sales of dental, medical, veterinary and other professional practices, including purchase of and regulatory compliance for a major surgical care facility.
- Successful negotiation of acquisition of grocery stores valued in excess of $15 million.
- Creation of equity ownership/succession plan for doctors in an ophthalmologic medical practice.
- Negotiating leases for “big box” retail tenants.
- Negotiating lease cancellation agreements for major area retailer from local malls.
- Formation of a craft brewery operation including distribution, tax and capital planning.
- Drafted and negotiated purchase agreements for 4,000 acre mixed use development.
- Acquisition of major shopping centers and mobile home parks.
- Sale of $8 million golf course.
- Residential real estate syndication.
- Successful negotiation of bank work out for real estate loans in excess of $500 million.
- Negotiation of forbearance agreements and locating $5 million of new financing for a Detroit-based manufacturer.
- Successful defense of clients in IRS reasonable compensation, corporate tax audits, and innocent spouse claims.
Contact Frank Ellias to discuss how he and Ellias & Elias, P.C. can assist you.
Frank J. Ellias
- Michigan, 1979
- Born Detroit, Michigan, March 13, 1954
- Admitted to bar, 1979, Michigan
- University of Michigan (B.A., with distinction, 1975)
- Wayne State University (J.D., cum laude, 1978)
- New York University (LL.M., Taxation, 1979)
- National Order of Barristers
- Recipient: American Jurisprudence Book Award for Civil Procedure
- South Central Region-1st Place,Philip C. Jessup International Law Moot Court Competition
- Silver Scholarship Key for High Academic Achievement
- Corpus Juris Secundum Award, American Law Book Company
- State Bar of Michigan (Member, Sections on: Taxation; Business Law)
- American Bar Association (Member, Taxation Section)
Awards & Honors
- AV Peer Review Rated by Martindale-Hubble (highest possible rating for Ethical Standards and Legal Ability)
- Detroit Business Monthly Top Lawyer
- Immediate past President of Fresh Air Society which owns and operates Tamarack Camps
- Serves on other community boards
- Amateur Musician