When his twin children, Jason and Rebecca, ask Frederick D. Elias what he does for a living, he tells them that, “I solve problems.” While this response usually results in a barrage of requests for help with homework, crashed computers and broken toys, it remains the single best description of his legal practice. Fred has been in the business of solving problems for clients for 20+ years. His clients rely on him to help them minimize potential liability, steer clear of lawsuits-waiting-to-happen and defuse disputes before they spill into the courtroom. He believes that while any idiot with $150 can file a lawsuit, good attorneys try to make sure they never have to. However, when all other options have been exhausted, the opposition is intransigent and litigation is the only choice, Fred’s clients feel secure knowing that he has made his reputation in the courtroom by being an aggressive litigator who gets results.
Fred practices in the areas of Commercial Litigation, Construction Litigation and Labor & Employment Law. He represents clients in the financial, land development, construction, health care, high-tech, advertising, petroleum, manufacturing, hospitality and food distribution industries. His Commercial Litigation experience includes cases of shareholder oppression, breach of fiduciary duty, tortious interference, intellectual property disputes, fraud and unfair trade practices. His Construction Litigation experience includes cases of breach of contract/warranty, lien foreclosure and zoning disputes. His Employment & Labor Law experience includes handbook and contract preparation, non-competition covenants, collective bargaining, Wage & Hour investigations, civil rights, FLSA and unpaid sales commissions cases.
The following are a few examples of the results which Fred has achieved for his clients:
- Successfully litigated breach of construction contract claim against a municipality securing $1,800,000 trial verdict for client.
- Successfully defended developer client against $17 million copyright and Lanham Act claims resulting in a no cause jury verdict.
- Successfully defended client against $10 million former partner claim resulting in summary dismissal of claims.
- Successfully litigated Zoning Dispute against a municipality permitting $10 million commercial and residential development to proceed.
- Successfully represented employer client against Sex and Pregnancy Discrimination lawsuit resulting in no cause jury verdict.
- Successfully litigated Sexual Harassment suit against Nursing Home defendant securing $250,000 settlement for client.
Contact Frederick D. Elias to discuss how he and Ellias & Elias, P.C. can help you.
Frederick D. Elias
- Michigan, 1992
- U.S. District Court, Eastern District of Michian, 1994
- U.S. District Court, Western District of Michigan, 1997
- U.S. Court of Appeals, Sixth Circuit, 2007
- U.S. Supreme Court, 2007
- Wayne State University Law School, J.D., 1992
- University of Michigan at Dearborn, B.A., History, with Distinction, 1989
- American Bar Association (Forum on the Construction Industry)
- American Bar Association of Justice (Business Torts Section)
- State Bar of Michigan (Labor and Employment Law Section)
- Michigan Association of Justice
- Oakland County Bar Association
Awards and Honors
- “AV” Peer Review Rated by Martindale-Hubble (highest possible rating for Ethical Standards and Legal Ability)
- Michigan SuperLawyer (nominated and elected by his peers)
- Million Dollar Advocates Forum (membership limited to attorneys recovering at least $1,000,000 as the result of trial verdict, award, or settlement)
- Detroit Business Monthly Top Lawyer